Sunday, October 4, 2009

If you have to ask

Everyone knows that baked goods are cheaper to make at home than to purchase on the outside, that the markup on a brownie is far greater than that on, say, steak. But baking takes time, and sometimes you're outside and want a cookie or whatever, and you must make peace with the fact that you're paying vastly more than the ingredients and labor seem they could possibly add up to. This much I can accept.

What I can't accept are baked goods that are price upon request. Many, many New York bakeries and coffee bars decline to affix prices to individual items, or to list prices on a menu of some sort. The idea here is that baked goods are, even if being sold for exorbitant amounts, inherently 'from the heart', and that the homey experience of a pastry would lose something if crude and cold numbers entered one's line of sight. Such establishments assume most people will be too ashamed to ask, because to ask is to admit that you're the sort of person who'd get that muffin if it were $1.75, but that $2.25 isn't going to work for you.

Well, I am that sort of person, so today, at a bakery in Tribeca, I asked the man behind the mini-cake counter how much the cake I was interested in cost. I also asked what it was, because the display lacked labels altogether, not just those involving price. I learned that what I wanted was an opera cake, and that it cost somewhere between $4 and $5.25 - the guy didn't know for sure and apologized for having not put up labels, but did not offer to find out where on the spectrum this particular cake fell. He was, however, quite confident that $5-ish was the most a cake could possibly cost.

Now, normally this would send me running in the opposite direction, but a) the cake was to be split, so I could think of the price as half whichever amount, and b) more to the point, we were at this bakery in the first place because we'd just gone to a brunch place, seen that French toast there cost $11.50, and, disappointed, decided to just buy some bread and stuff and have lunch at home. The cake was meant to compensate, and even $5.25 for two seemed less ridiculous than $23 plus tax, tip, overpriced restaurant coffee...

So we're at the register, and the woman ringing me up enters the amount for the cake: $6. I started to try to correct her, but realized I didn't know how much the cake cost, and she looked at me like I was insane when I started telling her about how we'd received an estimate on the cake from the man behind the cake counter, and that $6 fell above our estimate. Who gets an estimate on a pastry? The cashier then told me that the man I'd asked didn't know what he was talking about, in a tone that implied that I'd been quite foolish to look to that guy - that is, the guy working in the pastry area - for such information. Yes, what was I thinking?

This is where I should have said forget it. But a momentary lapse of judgment later, there I was with a baguette and a $6 cake, both of which we proceeded to take with us grocery shopping. During which I mentioned to my boyfriend, oh, maybe 20 times (his estimate - accurate, I think) that I could not believe I'd bought this cake, and that now we couldn't even enjoy the cake, given the circumstances under which it was purchased, not to mention the price.

(I realize, given the experience, that although I'm unlikely to return to said bakery after this incident, I have not given its name, an omission that normally comes when I think there's a good chance I will want to return somewhere and do not want to burn the bridge entirely. I mean, they have really good croissants, and until I find an alternate source...)

It's moments like this that I think about that time in class when my students and I all discuss our weekend plans, so as to facilitate use of the future tense. And I think, trust me, kids, you don't want to know.

3 comments:

Britta said...

hahaha, places like that should be driven out of business, it's pretty much the epitome of snottiness in the food movement. (Like, if you have to ask, you can't afford it, but for a muffin). I am totally an unmannered person who would proclaim loudly, "that's ridiculous, I'm not buying your stupid overpriced cake" and set it on the counter for the cashier to put back. (I once made a fuss over a mix up over discount lube at CVS, which resulted in pretty much everyone in the store knowing I was buying it, plus another trip to the lube section with the clerk, since it was under lock and key). There is something to be said for manners and discretion, but there is also something to be said for not relying on deceit and shaming to make people overpay for baked goods.
Unfortunately, though, the price on demand places are taking over Portland (and apparently bars in Chicago). I am willing to make a fuss and appear cheap and ill-mannered, but it helps that most people think I am a European tourist, so I can pass some of it off as cultural difference. I understand why other people are more willing to pay more to avoid embarrassment, but it's irritating they have to.

WhatKathyDid said...

"ahhh much?" (said at high volume in Cockney accent at the till) usually embarrasses everyone around me, but unfortunately has yet to result in a discounted price.

Cheeky beggars charging that for a flipping cake. Unless opera singers counted amongst the ingredients (it takes 8 years to train to a basic level of opera singing apparently).

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

I think in New York, Cockney just reads as British which reads as posh, which translates as 'that'll be $8 for the teeny-tiny cake.'