Sunday, October 11, 2009

Entertain me

My apartment, for reasons that are not worth going into here, lacks both TV (still) and Internet (once more). During the course of a cold that may or may not have come from swine, I got through nearly all the DVDs we own. Netflix offers some entertainment, but on the one-disk-at-a-time plan, this can mean entire weekends DVD-free. Yes, there are free movies at MOMA on Fridays (and brave are those who visit the restrooms once those end), and DVDs that can be borrowed from the public library, but these things require effort. Fixing the TV and Internet situation once and for all would - again, long story - cost an unacceptable $100/month. Going to the movies, however, means paying $12 or whatever ridiculous amount it now is for the privilege of sitting in a pile of foul-smelling artificial-butter popcorn. Reading books for entertainment - how quaint! - is never less appealing than two months before an oral exam. So what's left? Must I up the Netflix to two-at-a-time? Hire a court jester? Stare at walls and use my imagination to project onto them stock sitcom scenarios? Help!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you request DVDs through your library's online catalogue, it only takes the effort required to pick them up. Your school's library probably has DVDs too, if that's more convenient.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

This is still too much effort - not the passive at-home entertainment I've come to expect. Plus, Bobst doesn't allow this.

PG said...

If having a TV would help, I've a small one with a DVD player in it, that you're welcome to take.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

PG,

I appreciate the offer, but we actually have a TV set, just no service. (Perhaps the long story behind the difficulties on the entertainment front would make a good cheapness-studies entry, but as a blog-comment it would be far too long and ranty.)

Matt said...

What internet service do you use? I used speakeasy without trouble for three years but when I moved back to Philadelphia from New York recently they were terrible about getting service set up- three weeks with nothing, saying that they had up to 28 working days (!) to set it up, etc. So I called comcast and they set up an appointing w/ a reasonable time frame (2 hours) and put it in the next day w/o trouble and for less money. I've been pretty happy with it. I just get internet from them- no TV or phone. I wish I'd done it sooner.