Friday, September 25, 2009

Cheapness success!

Near the end of my first month of grad school, my monthly credit card statement is the lowest it's been since I first got a credit card (the years I had one in my name but attached to my parents' account in college to "build credit" but not actually use not counting). This is extremely surprising to me, since I didn't make any kind of extra effort not to spend money this month, and indeed, even went a little overboard on used book purchases. But, the only thing I've spent more than $100 on this month has been books, and, to be fair, it is the beginning of the semester. What I did not spend on was going out because I have no friends and no time, happy hour because it's illegal(!!) in this state, and transportation because I have nowhere to go. Apparently, grad school is habitual cheapness utopia! All you need to do is move somewhere near a school where all the shopping is unaffordable and where you don't know anyone and have no time to do anything but read, which will require only minimal monetary investments in the form of books, coffee, and sandwiches. If this trend holds for the rest of my time here, I may well become not only happy with grad school, but extremely reluctant to leave.

However, I did decide to celebrate my savings by buying a dress, so maybe the savings engendered by the grad student lifestyle will only serve to fuel end-of-month online shopping splurges.

5 comments:

Alex said...

Doesn't the significantly lowered income mean that savings may be somewhat (entirely?) mitigated?

Miss Self-Important said...

Well, yes, over the long term. But I still derive great satisfaction from knowing I can live on so (relatively, in a first world way) little.

Unknown said...

This sounds so sad. You have no friends and no where to go, and happy hour is illegal (?). The only good thing in this post is dress-buying. I hope it is a colorful dress.

Miss Self-Important said...

It's violet. It is sad otherwise, but at least sadness is cheap. Glass half full!

Evan Stafford said...

Inteeresting read